What Fundamental Baptist Churches Believe
by J. Frank Norris
I found this list in J. Frank Norris' book "Inside History of First Baptist Church, Fort Worth, and Temple Baptist Church, Detroit", 7th edition (one of the longest book titles of modern times I think). I thought it was very interesting to see what one of the early Fundamentalist leaders would think was important enough to list. I have copied this exactly as found on pages 322 and 323, if you want to check up on me.
(1) We believe the whole Bible from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21, as the verbally inspired and infallible Word of God.
(2) We believe Jesus Christ was born of Mary the Virgin, and is the Son of God and God the Son.
(3) We believe that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, the just for the unjust that He might bring us to God.
(4) We believe that He rose from the grave the third day according to the Scriptures.
(5) We believe that He only is our great High Priest, and we need not the intercession of any man, but that Christ ever liveth to make intercession for us.
(6) We believe that Christ will come in person, bodily, visibly, to establish His Kingdom on the earth.
(7) We believe in the resurrection of both the just and the unjust, and that the righteous will be raised at the Return of Christ.
(8) We believe in the New Birth of the soul; that regeneration is a new creation of the soul dead in trespasses and sins.
(9) We believe that the church is a body of baptized believers, whose only mission is not the "reform the world," but to preach the gospel to every creature.
(10) We believe that Christ only is the head over all things to the church which is His body.
(11) We believe that the Holy Spirit is the only Administrator of the church, and that it is unscriptural for any hierarchy to Lord it over the Church of Jesus Christ.
(12) We believe that all true believers should be baptized as the Lord has commanded - "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."
(13) We believe that baptism is the immersion in water of a believer, a new born soul - "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized."
Acts 8:36-38, "And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thing heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him."
(14) We believe that the Great Commission was given by the Head of the Church, to the Church, and the one and only mission of the Church, and of every believer is set forth in this Great Commission: Mat. 28:18-20, "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nation, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."